Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hobbies and Pastimes


(This is me at the sewing factory in 1966-age sixteen)


My love of sewing started way back in 1961 at Tauranga Intermediate School. (Middle School) I was eleven at the time and eager to try my hand at something new. I wish I could remember my teacher’s name, because she really was one of a kind, and left a lasting impression on me. With a wink and a smile she would call me “Hilda cotton” because of my tendency to somehow forget to cut my threads after sewing a seam. (In New-Zealand thread is referred to as cotton)

My Mother was a beautiful seamstress, and I along with my sister Pam were the recipients of many items of clothing she had sewn. Her machine was a Necchi, and very well used.

The first item I successfully completed was an apron, and with that under my belt I was off to bigger and better things.

The next year I took a cooking class with Mrs. Ashby, and at the end of the school year was given the award of “Cook of the Year,” and presented a lovely Cordon Bleu Cook Book. I’m afraid my cooking skills never really improved over time. I never have understood how a necessity could be considered a pastime, but each to their own I guess.

When I attended High School in Hamilton New Zealand I took the Home Ec. route and received many awards at C.C.N.Z. My favorite teacher was Arlene Holyoak, an American who taught us how to make donuts and how to cook for large groups. We were often called upon to organize and cook for banquets.

She was also a very picky seamstress, and sent us unpicking on many a project. She taught us how to sew with wool including making bound buttonholes. This was a boarding school, and I remember her taking us into town to buy our wool fabric for a skirt and a full length coat. My skirt was a lavender color and my coat was green. Oh mercy they were ugly, but I made them, and I was proud of them.

In the summers I worked at a sewing factory. They had this deal that if any fabric or lace fell on the floor you could keep it. Sometimes we pushed stuff on the floor just so we could keep it. I have since repented of this. (ha)

I began making all of my own clothes from the age of twelve on, and experienced great satisfaction in doing so. It always made me feel creative and good about myself to complete a garment. I even made my own wedding gown when the time came. I had a rule that I usually followed – cut the pattern out one day and sew the next day. I found less mistakes were made that way.


After we were married a year and it looked like no little ones were on the way, I decided to go back to work so we could earn a little extra money to help pay for our new house. I worked at the old Barbizon clothing factory on 1230 North in Provo. Jana was born nine months to the day after my start date.

When the girls came along, my sewing days became fewer and farther between. I became frustrated that I couldn’t sew an outfit in one day without interruption like I used to. Besides, the girls and their needs were really more important at this time. I sewed occasionally, but not as much as I once had.

Really it’s only been in the last few years that I have come back to sewing, and this time around my main focus is piece quilting. I’m just a novice, and much slower than I used to be, but I do enjoy the challenge. Leland surprised me with a new sewing room and sewing machine a couple of years ago, and it’s a real pleasure to go in there and have everything all set up and ready to go. Also it’s exciting to watch Jana take off with this quilting skill she is developing and has such a passion for now. Already this year, she has made five quilts for different family members and has a few more in the works. I should have done what she does. She waits til she puts her children to bed, then she starts sewing.

One thing I have never enjoyed is mending or alterations. I remember once taking up the hem of a pair of scrubs for Leland. I cut 4 inches off one leg and 4 inches off the other. (or so I thought) I had actually cut 8 inches off one leg. We had a good laugh as I sewed 4 inches back on the same leg. Luckily it wasn’t a good pair of slacks.

I enjoy crocheting around the edge of baby blankets and I find simple knitting to be quite relaxing. My Mother was a master knitter who would knit without a pattern. She could carry on a conversation with someone without ever looking down at what she was doing. For me that would be akin to disaster. Sometimes she would get almost completely finished with a knitted item, decide she didn’t like it, pull it all undone, then start over. I've always had a deadly fear of dropped stitches, therefore I haven't ventured much beyond an occasional scarf. I remember when I was a young girl the yarn would come in these long twisted circular skeins. I would hold the skein taut with both hands so my Mother could make a ball. That way there would be less tangling of the yarn.

I think my Mother would be so proud of my daughter Robyn as she is learning to knit and becoming quite proficient at it. She has joined a knitting group in Chicago and they meet weekly.

I also love to garden and work out in the yard. I’ve always loved nature, and the offerings of the changing of the seasons. Fall is my favorite time of year, as I’m always intrigued by the beautiful array of leaves.

Although not well schooled in music, I do love music of all kinds. One of my favorite things to do is to have a “sing song” (as we call it) with Jana and Robyn. We love to sit at the piano and sing hymns, each taking a different part. A visit from them is not complete without a “sing song.” Last Christmas Leland gave me a ukelele made out of New-Zealand kauri wood with paua shell inlays. It’s really beautiful and I’m determined to learn to play it properly one day.

Finally, who knew I would enjoy writing. This class has really helped me realize what a great exercise writing is. (thank you Marge) I’m certainly not good at it, but hopefully enjoying it counts for something.


Hilda S. Gamette
July 22, 2009

2 comments:

Jana said...

You are a very accomplished lady...can you tell I have been reading Jane Austin? I attribute my desire to work with my hands to you and Dad. The feeling of finishing a project, and being happy with the result is WONDERFUL! I just put the trimmings on Maddie's costume, and BOY does it look cute!
I also LOVE that picture of you! I has always been one of my favorite of you as a young woman.
Love you Mom!
Jana

Mere said...

I absolutely love your blog and think you are a very gifted writer (and that's not praise I just throw around, you know!). You take me right there.

I love that you're doing this writing -- it's so fun to have an opportunity to know more about a person I admire so much.

I LOVE the photos too! I could see both Robyn and Jana in your face looking up from the sewing machine. :)