Believe it or not, I was actually awarded a lovely Cordon Bleu Cook Book in Intermediate School (Junior High) for being Cook of the Year. I still have the book today. When you open the cover it says, “Presented to Hilda Snow “Cook of the Year” 1962. Suffice it to say however it really hasn’t done me a lot of good – things have kind of gone downhill from there.
I can’t say I’ve ever really enjoyed cooking – it’s just not something I’m passionate about. However, I do realize the importance of good nutrition, and so to marry the two I’ve sort of stuck with it over the years.
When Leland and I were first married I was quite hopeless, and luckily found myself learning a lot of useful things from him. He’s actually a very good cook – it’s just instinctual for him. He’s the type who can open the fridge, pull out a few ingredients and whip up something quite tasty. He’s quite handy to have around in that regard. Me on the other hand – I have to use exact measurements and even then sometimes it doesn’t turn out right. Now I do make a pretty good lunch. One of Leland’s favorites is my egg salad sandwich complete with chives, parsley and chopped dill pickles. I don’t mind lunches because they’re quick easy and cleanup is usually a snap.
As newlyweds we also leaned heavily on a Betty Crocker cookbook we’d been given entitled “Dinner for Two.” As I look at it now, good and frustrating memories flood my mind. My adopted Mother Virginia, a very good cook herself rescued me many times back then. I’d often call her to see if she had any great ideas for dinner. On occasion she’d say “creamed tuna and peas on toast.” I love it – it’s cheap you usually have all the ingredients on hand, and you can make it from start to finish in about 20 minutes. It’s kind of a standing joke with Jana and Robyn now if they ever call for an idea for dinner. The first thing out of my mouth is “creamed tuna and peas on toast.” They’ve both become quite good cooks themselves, and it’s fun to watch them as they try to please picky palettes. Some love veges and some don’t. Some would only eat carbs if they could, but by and large they get a pretty good smattering of all types of food.
I asked them both what some of their favorites were growing up. Jana said she loved that we put veges in everything, and she reminded me of the one and only recipe I ever made up. It’s lemon chicken noodle soup, and she said when she takes it to someone who’s sick it always seems to perk them up. Robyn said she loved vegetable medley, where we steamed a few veggies together then threw some grated cheese over the top. They both mentioned stir fry which we had often, and of course who could forget Leland’s chicken wings. Poppyseed chicken casserole and carrot chowder were favorites along with surprise pan cookies which they made often.
I never did like to bake, but Jana and Robyn loved it, and often on Sundays they would make up many plates of goodies, and then we’d go out delivering. It was always a knock and run, hoping not to get caught.
Both girls have perfected a recipe my Mother used to make called Neenish Tarts. Oh they are so good! Little tarts with the most scrumptious creamy filling.
For Leland’s retirement I made the mistake of telling him I’d make whatever he wanted to take to his staff party. Wouldn’t you know he’d ask for trifle – his favorite. I only make it about every five to ten years because of the labor intensity, and well it’s not something you should eat on a regular basis. You should have seen the kitchen when I got done with that.
That’s another problem with my cooking. I’m a messy cook. I have every bowl and utensil out, and then of all things I have to clean it up.
The other thing about cooking is that people need to eat three times a day. What’s with that? You’re always having to think about the next meal.
Thank you Mrs. Ashby for giving me that award in 1962, but if you include all the subsequent years I really didn’t deserve it.
Reluctantly I did do it for years, but I will say I’ve slacked off a bit since then. There’s got to be some prize for an empty nest.
Hilda S. Gamette
August 20th 2009
4 comments:
You know mom, you really are a wonderful cook. Or, I guess after reading this you've faked it very well for all these years. I have skulked behind you while making a white sauce or sauteeing vegetables all of my life feeling impressed with what you can do in the kitchen. And learning. From the minute I got married I knew how to feed my little family. I didn't learn it from TV, I learned it from you.
Hooray for Hilda the cook!
I agree with Robyn! I have learned a lot about cooking from Y-O-U! Thanks for encouraging me! I can honestly say I don't love to cook, but I do enjoy sitting down with the family eating a good meal...I guess the end result is worth the effort! LOVE YOU!
I love your blog! I get to learn the most interesting things about a person I love very much (sometimes the things we find mundane are the things others find most interesting, I've found).
I'm shocked you feel this way about your cooking. I have always loved dinner at your house and your little treats. My mom and I have always said how you always have the best food.
I also remembered from this post how, when Grandpa was so sick at the end, just about the only thing he would eat was your carrot soup. He was so grateful for the many tupperwares full that you delivered. I was thinking how your cooking has been the Lord's errand so many times. I, for one, think you still deserve that award. :)
Oh yes, and I LOVE your lunches. They are the best ever.
Oh Mere, you're such a sweetie. I always loved that you thought I made the best toast ever. Stay warm back there...okay?
Post a Comment