My earliest recollection of a soothing salve is what my Dad called a soap and sugar poultice. Quite literally that’s what it was. When the inevitable cuts and scrapes of childhood occurred this is what he used. As you writhed in pain, he would take a piece of gauze and with a fork smash in a heavy amount of bath soap. Then came a generous sprinkling of sugar, and the poultice was applied to the wound and wrapped with a bandage. It was definitely soothing, but who knew if there was any science to it. All I knew was that the wound would heal and I’d be good to go until the next mishap.
Combining the fact that I grew up around the beach, and, at that time no one had heard of sunscreen, I spent my childhood going from sunburn to sunburn. My Mother’s remedy for this was a paste of baking soda and water gently pressed onto the burn. There again I’m not sure of its healing properties, but it felt good anyway. Eventually my skin turned so brown that my sister one day said I looked like a Maori. (A native New-Zealander.)
I have sweet memories of Dad staying up all night with me as I lay on the couch next to the fire. He was either mopping my brow or cleaning up the puke. The main thing is he was there to calm me through the inevitable childhood illnesses.
Dad was a positive thinker and if you ever asked him about a symptom you were having, or a health concern you might have, he’d say “Oh, that just means you’re healthy.” Funny thing is, most times I believed him. The other thing he’d say is “You’re not drinking enough water!” With Dad, everything could be fixed by drinking water.
Dad always was and always has been a big believer in prayer. I know I’ve been blessed many times through the power of prayer, and specifically through his prayers.
My sister Pam is trained in natural and alternative methods and she has a treatment for just about anything that ails you. It wouldn’t be quite so bad, but she seems to want to talk about it 24/7 and it can be a little overbearing at times. I do know she means well however, and only wants the best for you. Her emphasis is on prevention and proper nutrition, which makes a lot of sense. It’s all the stuff you’ve heard over the years, but can’t quite fully commit to. It’s just as well she doesn’t live around here to police my nutritional habits. You know how it is – once a big sister, always a big sister, and you better listen and do what she says.
When Jana and Robyn were little we often found that a couple of ice-cubes wrapped in a dish rag with a rubber band, went a long way to taking care of any swelling or bumps. Another big favorite was apricot nectar. I don’t know how that got started, but I do know that everything was made better by it. For an upset stomach it was always dry toast fingers or saltines, and of course small sips of sprite. Raleighs vapor rub applied by Leland’s big scratchy hands seemed to ease the symptoms of a cold, and who can forget the good old cold compress for fever, and just to let you know that someone cared.
There’s nothing like a kiss, a heartfelt “Oh Honey,” or a band aide to make things better. I remember one incident where Robyn fell down and hurt herself, and seemed to be having a hard time getting over it. Impatiently I said, “Come on – we’ve got to go,” to which she replied “But you didn’t say “Oh Honey.”
Speaking of band aides, when it came time to take Robyn for her Kindergarten shots we brought her friend Roxi, as her Mom was working. Robyn didn’t cry, but Roxi did and so she got a special snoopy band aide, and Robyn got a plain one. It was Robyn’s very first lesson in “the squeaky wheel gets the grease,” or “life’s not fair.”
Whenever anyone was sick at our house, the standard fare was to let him or her lay on the couch, which had been covered by a fresh clean sheet. The sheet had three purposes – one to feel soft and cool, two to keep the germs contained and three to keep throw up from touching the couch. Speaking of throw up, the girls knew that I hated to clean it up, so if ever there was a hint that it was eminent, the old silver bowl came out and stayed out until it was no longer a probability. I have visions of Jana racing up the stairs from her bedroom, hands over her mouth just so she could make it to the toilet. Anything to save her Mother from cleaning it up. Thanks girls!!
Jana and Robyn always had to think seriously about staying home from school for illness. Just incase anyone was faking it, a day at home was not made to be fun. Rules were made, and for sure there was absolutely no television. We didn’t want to set a precedent that staying home for any old reason was a good thing.
I’ve always sworn by a hot drink of lemon slices and honey for the cold, and for a tickle in the throat my favorite is Ricola Cough drops. Of course they have to be the sugar free lemon variety.
I also really like lemon water to relieve water retention, and I’ve just learned recently that taking a bite of banana and leaving it in your mouth for a while is a great cure for a charley horse.
Once, I was fitted with a neck brace for a mild case of whiplash. If you’ve never tried one they’re great. They really take a load off your shoulders. Believe me, you don’t realize how heavy your head is until you try one of those.
Finally bringing silliness to a new height is the musical “Spamalot.” I’ve not seen it, and probably never will, but I have heard the tune to the first line of one song from it called “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.” I really don’t know any of the other lyrics, but I love this line, and I truly believe that when we choose to look on the bright side our pains are somehow lessened. I think I’ve found a new theme song.
Hilda S. Gamette
September 2009
Robyn's comment just reminded me that actually I got the story slightly wrong regarding she and Roxi and the band aides. Too much water has passed under the bridge I guess. Her version (the real one) is much better.
3 comments:
Great post. Although, may I clarify and say that Roxi didn't even get a shot that day (since you were watching her and she already had her shot she just came along). So, I got the shot, didn't cry and got a plain bandaid and Roxi didn't get the shot and had red hair (like the biased nurse) and got a snoopy bandaid TO TAKE HOME. Hmph.
That poultice is funny. I also think it's funny how I never felt a huge physical change with the cold ocmpress...but it was a sign I was being taken care of and I loved it.
I love you momma.
Poor Robyn!
This was SO SO SO much fun to read!
I still get Apricot Nectar when I don't feel well, Jon thinks I am crazy, but it really does make me feel better.
I can't wait for the day that Maddie and Gideon can make it to the toilet. I can honestly say that I was (okay, and am) totally proud of the fact that I could make it from my room WAY down in the basement to the bathroom upstairs. It's a talent, what can I say!
And speaking of Ricola's I need to get me another bag! Sugar free lemon is the ONLY good kind.
That was so much fun!
Love the home remedies!
Post a Comment